Translation from English

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Poems-- Hebrew and German


 

Poems Found in Translation: “Annabelle Farmelant: The Circus (From Hebrew)” plus 2 more

Link to Poems Found in Translation

Posted: 15 Nov 2016 06:29 PM PST
The Circus
By Annabelle Farmelant
Translated by A.Z. Foreman

I have grown tame cat claws.
When the wheel revolves for my next incarnation
I will return
As a lion.
I will re-turn time to circa the Roman circus
And they will set me loose in the ring. 
All beasts walk on two feet
And I will dig my claws into the flesh of all
The numbhearts, and the numskulls
And puke my shame in their faces. 
A typical shame I swallowed in secret.
The snow has long melted
The snowdrop long died out
But I can never blacken even the name
Of shame
So typical, so pure and bright. 
You the numbhearts and numskulls
With hearts once ocean-vast
Shrank back into the muck of stupidity,
Minds brilliant
As adamant gemstones
Switched to bogus rhinestones
That used to be the cornerstone
Of Empire. 
Now shout not: "Ave, long live Caesar!" 
His stoney pity
Shall never be moved. 
Shout not: "Ave, long live Caesar!"
All the Caesars are long dead. 
When the next revolution cycles
The wheel will run faster, and the corner
Stone will spin
Together with Empire
You'll be a tail, a chariot
Dragged on and on
While the buffoon in jest arises
To the throne.

The Original:

הַקִּרְקָס
חנה פרמילנט

גִּדַּלְתִּי לִי צִפָּרְנַיִם הֲתוּלִיּוֹת. 
בַּגִּלְגּוּל הַשֵּׁנִי אֶתְגַּלְגַּל
וְאַהָפֵךְ לְלָבִיא. 
אֶתְגַּלְגֵּל אֲּחוֹרַנִּית לַקִּרְקָס הָרוֹמִי.
וְיַשְׁלִיכוּ לִי לַזִּירָה
כָּל הַחַיּוֹת עַלשְׁתַּיִם הוֹלְכוֹת
וְאֶנְעַץ צִפָּרְנִי בִּבְשַׂר כָּל
קְטַנֵּי הַמֹּחַ וּקְטַנֵּי הלֵּב
וְאָקִיא בִּפְנֵיהֶם אֶת עֶלְבּוֹנִי. 
הָעֶלְבּוֹן הַסְּתָמִי שֶׁחֶרֶשׁ בָּלַעְתִּי
הַשֶּׁלֶג זֶ כְּבָר נָמֵס,
וְהַשִּׁלְגִּית גָּוְעָה
וְלֹא יָכֹלְתִּי לְהַשְׁחיר עֶלְבּוֹן
הַסְּתָמִי הַצָּחוֹר. 
קְטַנֵּי מֹחַ, וּקְטַנֵּי לֵב
לְבָבוֹת רְחָבִים כְּיָם
כִּוַּצְתֶּם בִּיוֵן אִוַּלְתְּכֶם
וּמֹחוֹת מַבְרִיקִים
כְּסַנְדַּלְכּוֹנִים
הֶחְלַפְתֶּם בְּאֶבֶן מְזֻיֶּפֶת
שֶׁשִּׁמְּשָׁה אֶבֶן רֹאשָׁה
בָּאִימְפֶּרְיָה.
עַתָּה לֹא תִּצְעֲקוּ ”יְחִי הַקֵּיסָר“
כִּי רַחֲמָיו הַמְאֻבָּנים
מֵעוֹלָם לֹא נִכְםְרוּ
לֹא תִּצְעֲקוּ  â€×™Ö°×—Ö´×™ הַקֵּיסָר“
×›Ö¼Ö´×™ כָּל הַקֵּיסָרִים מֵתוּ. 
וּבַגִּלְגּוּל הַשֵּׁנִי הַגַּלְגַּל
יִסְתּוֹבֵב מַהֵר, וְאֶבֶן
הָרֹאשָׁה תִּסְתַּחְרֵר
יַחַד עִם הָאִימְפֶּרְיֶה
תִּהְיֶה לְזָנָב, גְּרָרָה
נִמְשֶׁכֶת
וְהַמּוּקְיוֹן בִּצְחוֹק יַעֲלֶה
עַל כֵּס הַכָּבוֹד. 
Posted: 15 Nov 2016 05:32 PM PST
The Poet
By Rainer Maria Rilke
Translated by A.Z. Foreman

Hour, you wind ever farther from me.
Your wings wound me as they beat away.
Alone: what would I do with my lips?
With my night? With my day?


I have no lover. I have no home.
I have nowhere I can stay.
All things to which I give myself
Get rich and then give me away.


The Original:

Der Dichter

Du entfernst dich von mir, du Stunde.
Wunden schlägt mir dein Flügelschlag.
Allein: was soll ich mit meinem Munde?
mit meiner Nacht? mit meinem Tag?

Ich habe keine Geliebte, kein Haus,
keine Stelle auf der ich lebe
Alle Dinge, an die ich mich gebe,
werden reich und geben mich aus.
Posted: 15 Nov 2016 06:20 PM PST
Two for Me at Night
Moshe Feinstein
Translated by A.Z. Foreman
Click to hear me recite the original Hebrew

Two for me at night:
A shriveled leaf, a blasted thing of rot
Whose shoot of green vitality was shot
Out by the passing storm, fell right
Against my window in the throes of the near-dead,
To look on desolation-soaked shrouds of the bed
And said
"Oh cold it is beneath the grave's old plank,
Cold and dank...."
And a heh heh at my window, like the bearer of great tidings, tapped —
A laugh of rapture born out of a lusty woman's warm young breast
To hint suggestively about night secrets, and the creases of a dress
Of black.
Like a gazelle the cry cavorted through my blood 
Aroused a thirsty tremble on my lips
And said aloud: "desire, desire."
This it said
Then went off into exile of the night
Born off as a snowy bell's pure chimes
Into the distance where the blackness climbs.
The leaf is shuddering still on the shrouds of my bed.

The Original:

שְׁנַיִם לִי מִלַּיְלָה
משה פיינשטיין

שְׁנַיִם לִי מִלַּיְלָה:
עָלֶה כָמוּשׁ, פִּתְקַת־רָקָב שְׁדוּפָה,
אֲשֶׁר יֶרֶק־חַיָּיו פָּרַח עִם הַסּוּפָה
המְַטיַלְּהָ,
נָפַל ×‘ְּחִיל־מָוֶת אֶל חַלּוֹנִי,
עַל תַּכְרִיכֵי עַרְשִׂי סְפוּגַת שִׁמְמוֹנִי
וְדוֹבֵב : קַר מִתַּחַת קַרְשֵׁי גוֹלָל,
קַר וְטָחוּב . . .
וְחַה, חַה, חַה בְּחַלּוֹנִי דָּפַק כִּמְבַשֵּׂר בְּשׂוֹרָה,
צְחוֹק־גִּיל, בֶּן חָזֶה חַם שֶׁל עַלְמָה,
הָרוֹמֵז סוֹדֵי לֵיל וְקִמְטֵי שַׂלְמָה
שְׁחוֹרָה, 
כִּרְכֵּר כָּאַיָּלָה דֶּרֶךְ דָּמִי,
עוֹרֵר עַל שִׂפְתוֹתַי רַעַד צָמֵא
וְקָרָא: חֵשֶׁק, חֵשֶׁק,
קָרָא וְאֶל הַלַּיְלָה גָּלָה,
כִּגְלוֹת ×¦Ö°×œÖ´×™×œÖµ×™ פַּעֲמוֹן־שַׁלְגִּית זַכִּים
אֶל שַׁחְרוּרִית הַמֶרְחַקִּים.
עַל תַּכְרִיכֵי עַרְשִׂי פִּרְכֵּס עוֹד הֶעָלֶה.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered