Translation from English

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Facebook Tracking Rainbow Photo Profiles- Many Readers Respond




Facebook Is Probably Tracking All Those Rainbow Profile Pictures


Facebook Is Probably Tracking All Those Rainbow Profile Pictures
Friday’s Supreme Court decision legalizing gay marriage was a historic moment for civil rights in America, and for the first time ever, Facebook released a tool that encouraged people express solidarity with a rainbow profile picture. Naturally, Facebook is also keeping track of who’s using it. [Update: Facebook didn’t deny it.]
The Atlantic recently asked if all those rainbow profile photos were “another experiment.” A Facebook spokesperson responded to that question directly: “it’s not an experiment or test—everyone sees the same thing.” Facebook has conducted studies on profile pic memes like this in the past, but this is the first time that Facebook has built a tool for the expressed purpose of showing political support with a profile picture. That said, the Facebook spokesperson didn’t deny that the social network was tracking which users support gay marriage and adding that to the database of personal information the company has on its billion users. 
We’ve reached out to Facebook for further clarification. But at this point, it’s a pretty safe bet that Facebook is tracking everything you do on its social network. Zuckerberg and company has been keeping tabs on its users for years, from tracking their browser activity to using supercookies to keep tracking users even if they’ve deleted their accounts.
What’s more, the last time there was a big profile picture protest for gay marriage, a Facebook data scientist quietly published an academic paper on the data that Facebook collected with the title “The Diffusion of Support in an Online Social Movement.” It’s not exactly beach reading, but it’s evidence that Facebook is paying close attention to how people use the social network to effect social and political change, as the Atlantic explains in more detail.
This is not to say that you shouldn’t give your Facebook profile the rainbow treatment. It’s a great way to celebrate a historic event. But don’t forget that, as always, Facebook is watching. 
Update 6:00 EDT Facebook finally responded to our request for clarification. However, the clarification sounds more like a confirmation that the social network is tracking people who use the tool. Facebook used the word “not” three times but still did not deny tracking. A Facebook spokesperson wrote:
This was not an experiment or test, but rather something that enables people to show their support of the LGBTQ community on Facebook. We aren’t going to use this as a way to target ads and the point of this tool is not to get information about people.
Well, if it’s not the point of the tool, tracking users is fine right?
Read the full story at the Atlantic here. 

Image: Facebook

11 435Reply
The following replies are approved. To see additional replies that are pending approval, click Show Pending. Warning: These may contain graphic material.
  • JeremiahAdam Clark Estes
    Seems a bit unimportant though, right? I mean, those people voiced their opinions about same-sex marriage. Why would they care if Facebook is collecting that data? 
          • Not cool? So, it’s fine to tell everyone that you support it, but if that data is collected, it’s bad? Stick with your proclamations, and don’t hide when someone writes it down. Otherwise don’t say anything.

          • I have had some difficulty finding the reasoning behind the courts decision. I understand it as far as states having to recognize marriage licenses from other states but what is the logic behind ruling that gay marriage is right? Not that I don’t think it is or should be but how it is constitutionally. Many opposed to this are saying the justices are legislating from the bench and I’m starting to have to agree with them. Its a big win for equal rights but at the cost of the courts integrity. 
                • dancelikeithurtsThis guy here says
                  Since there are benefits that accrue from marriange — taxes, inheritance, etc. — if some people have no access to those benefits based on an immutable trait, then they are denied equal rights.
                  • Brandon HumphriesThis guy here says
                    By that logic the court lost credibility with Loving V. Virginia. If anything this gives it some of the credibility to do the right thing it lost when it actually DID legislate from the bench with the Citizens United ruling. 

                  • Wait wait wait. Wait. You’re telling me that Facebook has a way to keep track of how many people use a function of their website they created? AND THEIR IDENTITIES?!

                  • LithiumFoxAdam Clark Estes
                    I’m not doing it for a simple reason. We still have the transgender rights to fight for and, also, I just prefer not to put a flag up for things that belong to other people. I love it, I think it’s great, and I’m glad I can help in any way. I’ll flat out argue on facebook with a bigot if you want. But I am not gay, I am not bi or transgender. I am a straight white male who, oddly, doesn’t fit into any of those social groups. It’s not my fight. But I will help you fight it. 
                    I’m like an internet batman. An angry internet batman.
                    Also doesn’t help that my picture is of Max Goof from A Goofy Movie and it just makes him look like he’s stoned. XD
                    • You don’t quiet understand the flag. It is actually a flag for the alliance of all people, including allies. Don’t pigeonhole something for your misunderstanding.
                      • But it’s not my misunderstanding. I can’t wear a flag that represents a group of people for the simple fact that I, personally, wish to remain neutral myself. That does not mean I wish to fight for the rights of others, such as for Marriage for the LGBT community or for the protection of transgender people. But I also don’t wish to destroy religion which, some people, have shown they want to do. The exact same reason I’m not really all for feminism. I like the ideals of feminism, but their attitudes are toxic. 
                        I refuse to put myself under a banner like that. The EQUAL sign would work. I like that, plus it’s a simple, non-gaudy design that looks nice. 
                        This isn’t a misunderstanding. You’re just misunderstanding my intentions. 
                        An odd, but topical, example is. I’m absolutely pro-any-orientation-should-marry. Hell, I’d even go so far as you should allow for a marriage between any consenting adult, period. Let people do what they want.
                        But, at the same time, I also agree with some thoughts on the Cake Baking issue, where religious people didn’t want to write something on a cake they didn’t support. I feel a compromise could have been made, but instead it was turned into a “MY FEELINGS VS YOUR FEELINGS” debate that spiraled to idiocy. The person shouldn’t be FORCED to write something on a cake they don’t support. The person GETTING the cake shouldn’t feel embarrassed. I think a compromise could’ve been to make the wedding cake say “Congratulations _____ & _____” and called it a day. But sadly, it’s all about “MAH FEELS” instead of caring, just a little, what the other person cares about.
                        If I, personally, were the baker, I wouldn’t of cared and just made the cake. But I’m understanding enough to know that it made them uncomfortable. 
                        That’s the difference. 
                        Yes, they might be a bigotted asshole, but your still making them uncomfortable. And that’s not cool. Not for anyone. In the same regards, I would expect a gay baker to still bake a cake for the Westboro Baptist Church, but not be expected to write “God Hates Fags” on it.
                        So yeah. I walk a fine grey line that everyone seems to hate on me for. But I prefer moderation vs screaming and yelling. =/ Anyways, I walk with my own flag. At most, I’d be much happier with a little equal sign, or even a “burnt in” equal sign watermark. I might do that now. :) thanks for letting me do something unique to show my support.
                          • “ I like the ideals of feminism, but their attitudes are toxic.” So you think women do havereasons to get upset over the state of the world, but you hate it when they are rude about it. Why do you think they can get rude about it? Because the state of the world sucks for them, and a disenfranchised person can get a bit emotional over how shitty their situation is.
                            You’re not an ally. Enjoy the status quo while it still goes in your favor.


                          • SalOfTheDeadAdam Clark Estes
                            What does this say, though, ultimately? Although there is meaning behind it, it was pretty easy. You’re gonna get the people who are supporters using it, and the people who are not supporters avoiding it, but you’re also gonna get a LOT of middle on both sides. It’s easy enough to use but also really easy to ignore.
                              • SQLGuruSalOfTheDead
                                Yeah.....I’m in that middle ground. I’m tired of it all being news (and I say this in a good way). I’m ready for society to not care enough whether someone is gay or straight and just treats them like people. But I’m also not going to make my Facebook feed to be all rainbows and unicorns to announce that fact. My spectrum friends all know where I stand.

                              No comments:

                              Post a Comment

                              Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered