Translation from English

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Odin-Soho

I don't know why Yelp is featuring this place with such old reviews..

Odin

4.5 star rating
36 reviews
  • 199 Lafayette St
    New York, NY 10012
    b/t Broome St & Kenmare St in SoHo
  • Transit information 4 6 6X N R Get Directions
  • Phone number (212) 966-0026
  • Business website odinnewyork.com
Yelp Ad

Levi's Store

23 reviews
0.1 Miles away from Odin
Sam L. said "Okay, here's the deal - Despite being gay, I really really hate shopping. I only go when I actually need something. Like pants.…" read more
  • 10/7/2013
    A very very handsome store. Stopped into Odin today while shopping with the boyfriend to mature his wardrobe. I like the sales staff hands off approach, they allowed us to browse and were readily available to help us with any questions. We ended up falling in love with a pair of Common Project sneakers but the price wasn't quite right today.

    Store had a major selection of items and can be overwhelming if you don't know what you're looking for. Make sure you check out their colognes. Odin #1 is my favorite.
  • 11/5/2012
    4 check-ins here
    If you have money to blow and are looking for a place to snag up some new clothes, then Odin will gladly answer your call. Odin is located right in SoHo, so if you're around the area, then this place is incredibly easy to get to. With all the menswear boutiques in the city, why should you stop by Odin? Well, Opening Ceremony might be too crazy for your taste, or Aloha Rag might be a little too pricey. Odin, by any means, is not cheap, but it won't necessarily break your bank either.

    Odin is a nicely sided boutique, with just enough stuff to keep you there browsing for the perfect item. If you're coming in here with an open mind, its staff is pretty helpful in the sense that they can help you find items based on your own style or price range. Hey, I walked in there once just to kill some time and I almost walked out with a $500 pair of sunglasses that I absolutely did not need. In regards to selection, Odin carries everything from suits, down to your t-shirts. Whether or not you need something nice for work, or just an outfit for a weekend, you can find something here. Brands such as Rag & Bone can be found here, but then again, you can go to the actual stores themselves in SoHo. The things here can get pretty "fashionable," so if you want to be subtle, then maybe it's best to shy away from here for the time being.

    Whether or not you're looking for something, this place is at least worth a visit. Whether or not this place is for you is up to you to decide.
  • 11/12/2010
    6 check-ins here
    Listed in Metro Threads
    Tommy Bahama would be offended if he ever walked in, it's not your Daddy's clothing store. Plenty of cool jackets and shirts from Nice Collective and other sweet urban-ish labels.

    A friend who should have known better (given my clothing addiction) dropped me off here... and my bank account took a major hit, but I'm loving my purchases. My salesperson was ok, helpful at times but didn't register strong opinions on what worked and didn't.

    If you like Odin, I'd also recommend BBlessing in LES another great men's boutiques in NYC.
  • 2/27/2008
    Listed in Twins!
    GRIMISNOT

    The Ballad of Grimnil

    (Inspired by the poem Grimnismol from the Codex Regius of Old Norse lore... http://www.sacred-texts.… )

    Hot art thou, sire! | true fashion by far;
    Cash ye now gone, ye flames!
    The mantle is bought, | though I wear it aloof,
    And my faux-cy struck at the fur.

    Twist yer fashion now | eight stations have I sat,
    And subway brought Spring St. to me,
    Sale prices aloft, | and alone shall I rule
    Geirrth's son o'er the Goths.
    And amid the "options" it stands;
    There ready do Odin | and Soho dreams
    In gladness from cuts of gold

    No filth of Glathshame, | and gold-right there
    Stomp Valhalla stretching hide;
    Since now does Odin | each day choose
    The men who will wear the nifty tights.

    Easy is it to know | for him who go to Odin
    Comes and beholds the hall;
    Its rafters with apparel, | with style till is roofed,
    Oh, you'll chant with full breast: Stud.

    Easy is it not to know | for him who don't Odin
    Comes and betroths cheap st(wh)ores;
    Their rags are a wolf's | by the basest boor,
    And o'er it a sucker hovers.

    The mix is Thyhand, | where Thjdazicion dwelt,
    The giant of marvelous sight; o'er the dwarf of despicable taste'd

    (To be continued...)

    • 141 friends
    • 444 reviews
  • 6/20/2008
    I think that if I had a penis I would shop here.

    Wait.

    Lemme revise - I think that if I had a penis and had a decent amount of money to spend on clothes I would shop here.

    The shop guys are always really friendly and helpful. It's nice because there's a couple seats throughout the store so you can lounge around and read some of the coffee table books they have for sale while you wait. The layout is done quite nicely - I like the display cases for the accessories. Good selection of fragrances and candles.

    All in all, a decent place to get stuck waiting for boys in or to just browse around for man gifts.
  • 5/16/2008
    Listed in Born to Shop
    I love the selection at this store. Working at Barneys Uptown, I was surprised to see that Odin carried basically all of the lines that Barneys Co-Op is touting as its new finds: Band of Outsiders, Engineered Garments, Shipley & Halmos, etc. They also have a full range of Comme des Garons fragrances.

    I had always seen the smaller East Village outpost and been wary to browse because of its darkness. The layout is much better here.

    The boys are cute as hell, although depending on which one is helping you, your service experience might vary. They aren't on commission, so your salesguy might not necessarily be the same one who finishes business with you. I had one guy start a room for me and then drift off to go smoke a cigarette. When I came back to say that a choice didn't work out, he robotically tauted the charms of that piece. He was clearly phoning it in that day, and I never actually saw him again.

    Another guy continued to help me out with advice, and still another manned the register and rang me up. I was anxious to tell said ringer to forward the credit to the more helpful salesguy, but alas, these guys worked for crumbs and not the credit, so his astute advice went all for naught. This, friends, is one example of when commissions could make a positive difference. As fetching as the boys were, I felt like they could care less about the job or selling to me.

    I guess in the end, they were nice enough. And the clothes are great. They actually have certain things and lines (like Nepenthes) that other shops don't yet have. The buy is great, and makes sense as a system of dressing, and it still feels relaxed enough to make me want to come in again.
  • 6/27/2012
    When I had a last minute formal dinner come up and no suit, George went above and beyond to get me decked out for the occasion. Contrary to any reviews that say otherwise, the service was spectacular. The staff here stays out of your face if you're obviously just browsing, but if you give them a mission (formal dinner, full get-up, one hour) they are all over it. George even was kind enough to steam the shirt I bought for the evening. Absolutely the best.

    As far as the clothes, nice selection of thoughtfully crafted mens-wear. Expensive, but you get what you pay for at this place.
  • 5/22/2010
    I'm going to make this fast... And its really just to contrast some of the negative reviews that are on here for Odin...

    First i'm a bearded, 20 something, black male.... I've been in Odin a bunch of times, and i've never felt like they are giving me bad service! If they aren't mistreating me, who are they mistreating?!?! lol...
    Whenever i'm there i get appropriate service, if they see me looking at a pair of common projects, they ask me if i want to try them on. They always say whats up when i walk in, or we give each other the internationally accepted "head nod"... I'm not looking for more, i don't want people all up in my face, they ask me if i need help, i say no, and get back to my browsing, or yes and they are eager to help...

    Now about the store... Its straight up inspiring...  Great layout, and some great product... My only beef is that sometimes it seems that all the clothes are tooo similiar, orrr at a price point that is almost silly at times... Thats the only reason its not a 5 star, because i don't think i could ever shop here religiously, because it cost too much

    But its a dope store... if your in the area, you should check it out...
    • 120 friends
    • 65 reviews
    3/26/2011
    I love shopping and Odin is my favorite boutique, PERIOD.  They carry most of the brands that I follow and whenever friends from out of town want to go shopping, I end up taking them here, among other places in Soho.  But Odin ends up being their favorite too!

    The sales staff is super friendly and always helpful.  They are great b/c they don't get in your face like a lot of sales people do.  They are super friendly and offer assistance when it's obvious that I need it.  I appreciate that b/c I like shopping without having someone look over my shoulder.  And when I do ask questions, they routinely demonstrate product and brand knowledge.

    The best part about Odin is the fact that it is a men's boutique!  No offense ladies, but we just don't have as many choices so a place like Odin is truly a diamond in the rough!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered