Translation from English

Friday, November 29, 2013

Comme des Garcons- Chelsea

Trendy women's clothing

Yelp reviews had TONS of very old reviews, have just kept recent ones...apparently this "Black Store" in Chelsea is newer too..older store has cave like entrance (below)





  • 520 W 22nd St
    New York, NY 10011
    b/t West St & 11th Ave in Chelsea
  • Transit information A C E Get Directions
  • Phone number (212) 604-9200
Yelp Ad

Levi's Meatpacking

7 reviews
0.4 Miles away from Comme Des Garçons Play
Steve R. said "Really friendly and knowledgeable staff. I bought my Levi's Vintage jeans elsewhere and brought them here for a chainstitch…" read more
  • 11/19/2013
    Decided to splurge on a t-shirt and a wallet to the tune of $300 and change.

    Was it worth it... without a doubt, yes!

    You are paying for the experience.  The service, the staff, the ambiance, the entire aspect of this store -- really like an art gallery -- cannot be duplicated in very many places in the USA.  Each creation was treated like a special work of art and indeed it was.

    It is well worth the walk up 22nd Street to find it!

    Short of going to Japan, you are not going to get an experience anything like this in very many places.

    The quality, the attention to detail and the beauty of the staff and the products cannot be described.

    Also, many of the items are unisex -- including the fragrances and t-shirts -- they will give you a sample shirt to try on so the actual garment is unworn by anyone but you.

    The dressing room is to die for -- just trying things on is a sublime experience.

    The leather goods and accessories (many made in Spain) are utterly stunning and well worth the extravagance.

    I could go on an on -- but it is not for everyone nor should it be.  I am not advocating that everyone should buy a $145 black t-shirt -- it is only for those who appreciate the opportunity to experience such things in life.
  • 4/14/2013


    I loved how the girl who helped me was so engaging.  I felt like I was just chilling with her.

    I just bought a pair of pants yesterday and I agree with other Yelpers.  This stuff is built to last.

    I can't wait to strut my new duds tonight out on the town.

    (I was lucky to have saved a few for tonight because I did pay for what I bought).

    See you in a few months!
    • d s.
    • San Francisco, CA
    • 477 friends
    • 288 reviews
    8/6/2007

    Listed in Why I Look So Good

    Expensive, eccentric, and conceptual fashion.  I echo the sentiments of Russ W. and others who attest to the quality of the construction.  I have shit that's 10 years old and still going strong.

    And who else would have had the guts (some would say naivete) to issue a men's collection which looked like it was plucked from the runway at Mauthausen (prison stripes, complete with boot prints and id numbers)?

    Just go.

    BTW, does anyone have anything from the tumor collection that they'd like to donate?  Please?  As the crack addict says to Ice Cube near the end of Boyz n' the Hood: "I'll suck your dick!"
    • J J.
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • 0 friends
    • 18 reviews
    5/14/2013
    Ok, whats with the negative reviews?  I usually go all stinky because it's close to my gym and like things to be done before i go back home.  Rei kawakubo is genius and you just have to go with it when you try on the clothes.  Ive been collecting cdg for awhile and theyre masterpieces.  Sometimes i will find a vintage piece online and itll be so complicated that i have to bring in for help to figure out how to wear it.  The staff knows i didnt buy from them but theyll still help me because they want me to enjoy it.  There have been times when ive called to find a piece from a past season ive been waiting to go on sale and if they dont have it, they point me to store that might.  If that's bad behavior, jeez.  Ive encountered nothing but niceness but i suppose you get back what you put into the world.  Rei and staff, thank you from the bottom of my heart.
  • 9/25/2009
    1 check-in here
    Easily mistakable for one of the neighboring Chelsea art galleries, you'll step through the portal of this store into a futuristic cave  that carries this brand that is a staple with the fashion elite.

    Whilst some Comme Des Garcon traditionalists scoff at the Play collection for it's graphically-driven designs, I'm definitely a fan.  The staff was very accommodating and helped me pick out a pair of sneakers that will enhance my wardrobe this season.

    You could probably purchase a piece of art for the same price of most of the items here.  I like to think that I bought wearable art.
  • 4/23/2011
    I must have boarded a spacecraft.
    Very cool entrance. Makes you feel like you are on the set of Star Wars or something.
    The clothes have a futuristic style. I did like a few pieces.
    Too bad one blouse costs $900.
    Window shopping it will have to be...for now.
  • 11/5/2006


    Rick and I had to check out this upscale clothing boutique solely because of the entrance way. Ensconced along Chelsea's 22nd Street gallery district, the clothing store sports one of the best-designed and most futuristic doorways I've ever seen or walked through. Walking into the store feels like you're walking down a passageway on the Death Star, almost.

    Inside the store, the clothes are displayed like you're in an art gallery or museum. We didn't check out the wares or price tags; we just walked in, set down our coffee cup at the checkout (They won't let you walk around with a beverage.), and checked out the space. Beautiful, and a solid use of a formerly industrial building.

    The staff is amazing. The doorman -- there is one -- didn't blanch when he saw we were just there to gawk and design geek out, and for that, he gets several Heathpoints.

    Go for the door. Stay for the fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered