Translation from English

Thursday, August 22, 2013

East River Esplanade- Rainy Day with Helicopter





Today I waited as long as I could for the rain to let up, then went over to the East 37th Street Esplanade and took the video above...not a great time to be there, but as helicopter buzzes in and boats are there as always, you can see that life goes on....

This is normally a gorgeous piece of waterfront at this time of year, as I pointed out last July in my article on NY Waterways which I am running again here:

Another Boat Trip--NY Waterways on East River and Other

Meanwhile, on the East River, the New York Waterway boats carry people around...here one is passing the East River Esplanade on its way to docking just South of there.

The Esplanade, by the way, is a beautiful refuge from the summer heat and is reached by an underpass on East 37th Street for the FDR.

 Anyway, there is the Yelp review for NY Waterway...wait a second, there is also a Ferry service to Brooklyn and I don't think this is THAT. So let me give you the website for NY Waterway, which covers ALL its ferries

http://www.nywaterway.com/


The city has all sorts of East River development schemes, most of them for lower Manhattan and then for North of 60th Street...there is a lot of waterfront left between these places, especially a big open stretch south of the United Nations where there are huge empty lots...

What does the City have in mind for that space? Possibly more residential luxury buildings..

Although I wonder whether building anything right along the East River is such as hot idea..back during Hurricane Sandy I got a shot of this area just as the Hurricane was starting to come in, and the flooding just starting..




 And a shot further South where an excavation had been filled entirely with water...

I have been doing postings about the City's preparedness for the next storm like Sandy and will continue to do so...in the meantime we shall just have to wait and see what happens , as the Hurricane Season has just begun..

I have made some preparations such as buying an emergency radio with additional hand crank,
started storing some bottled water--I have a lamp that runs on batteries for my apartment as well as plenty of extra batteries for my flashlight...

As the season goes along, I will be readying myself any other way I can, too...including making evacuation advance plans in the case we have another storm as bad or worse than Sandy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered