Translation from English

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Summer Concert Blues

My experience with free concerts of any kind in Manhattan has always been bad! Recent one with performer named David Glover at a local park was just another example..

The concert was announced rather obscurely with a couple of posters on the Park Gates near the Midtown Tunnel entrance...starting at 5 p.m.

Knowing these events never start on time, I arrived at 5:30 and then had to walk around the park until I found the place where people were waiting,---the Children's Playground.

It was a nice summer evening and the crowd was very relaxed while waiting. Kids played on swings and other playground equipment while everyone waited for Grover.

Of course, Grover did not appear by 6 p.m....and a harried representative of the St. Vartan's Playschool which was sponsoring the event just appeared for a while to yell, "He's coming, he's coming/"

I don't know if Grover ever arrived or not. I had to go somewhere else and so I left...

As I said, it did not seem to bother the waiting crowd very much.

When I posted something about it on Facebook, one of my FB friends commented snarkily, "Well, they could have asked for their money back." Oh, ha ha....

This sounds sort of jaded, but when I thought about it later, I found myself just saying, "what else did I expect?" Having been through this kind of experience so many times before with NYC Parks Department concerts....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment-- or suggestions, particularly of topics and places you'd like to see covered